Re: Timer

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Ed, All

Those treasure troves called Microwave Ovens may be worth a look;  the
old electromechanical timers probably wouldn't be that suitable (poor
resolution, relatively low current microswitch), but the electronic
timers may be.  I don't know the how much current they switch in 120V
land, but the ones I've got in the shed have relays which go up to about
7.5A -at- 240V.  Some can even be programmed to come on at a set time plus
you also have a duty cycle control ;-)  You could always swap in your
own relay in one of these or use the existing one to power a contactor.

Conventional oven clock/timers could also be considered, provided that
the timers could be set to one minute (rather than five minute)
resolution.  I'd imagine that these would have quite a hefty switching
capacity.

Cheers

Matthew Smith