Re: sorry Big file size for Master Blaster Pic--What size

I find that having a variety of resolutions available is nice.  You put a
thumbnail that is, say, 100 pixels on a side, and loads like lightning.
Then you have a version at around 640x480, and for the truly resolution
obssessed you can put that 1600x1200 monster out there...     The thumbnail
is small enough that it's a few k at most, so it loads fast.

If you come up with a consistent naming scheme for the pictures, and the
thumbnails, it makes life much easier...  For instance, most of my
thumbnails get named (abcX.jpg) for an original image called (abc.jpg)...

You can also greatly improve your loading speed by doing some selective
editing on the photo so that it compresses better.  For instance, if you
have large areas of background, smudge them to all the same color, then
they'll compress to very few bytes.  Take your photos against a "clean"
background (i.e. using that patterned wallpaper as a background is not such
a great idea...).  Remember that it's the edges that carry the information
in a compressed photo...

Play around with the "image quality" setting on the jpg compressor, too.....
Sometimes, a file that is 1/4 the size looks plenty good...