Re: tesla safety?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/26/02 6:38:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< I've noticed while running my coil, that even though its in a cool
basement,
 > that the apparent ambient temperature seems to climb.
 > even after only running it for 5-10 minutes.
 >
 > coil: 4x 12kv/30ma nst, 26nf plate cap, static gap, approx 940turns 22awg
on
 > 4.5" pvc. (25.5" wrapped length), tapped at turn 5 on pri.
 > inner radius of flat pri: 7.125" using 1/4" refrig tubing on 1/2" spacing.

 > static gap is made out of zinc fender washers on a 2x4 with some nuts to
 > adjust gap.  the fan i'm using doesn't seem to quench the gap much.
 >
 > is this an affect of a high dose of ozone?
 > i doubt i would be writing this if I had experienced
 > rf heating. (right?)
 >
 > thanks,
 > larry. >>

Larry,

I think Richard Hull mentioned this effect from running his huge
Nemesis coil. I too have noticed that my shop gets noticably
warmer after firing my 10 kVA pole pig powered coil for a few
minutes. As others have already mentioned, you are releasing
over 1000 watts of energy and the end result of energy release
is heat.

On a side note, I've also noticed that my x-ray tranny powered
Jacob's ladder will self-start at a noticably lower voltage after
firing the large Tesla coil than before firng the coil. I suppose
the Tesla coil sparks add additional ions to the air which in turn
lowers the breakdown voltage between the rails of the Jacob's
ladder.

Saprkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben