Re: Sync, Jitter, LTR observations

In a message dated 3/27/02 10:54:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> .  Scope observations suggested the gap has too
> > much firing jitter.  It seems the amount of jitter in a sync gap
> > tends to increase with smaller rotors and lower rotor speeds.
> > This happens mostly because the electrode closing speed is
> > slower, making the gap "indecisive" about when to fire, but
> > possibly also because it's harder to achieve mechanical
> > precision on a small rotor.  At least that's my explanation.
>
>     I suspect it's just the linear speed that counts.  Lower speed = more
> "dwell time" and less air velocity to clear out the ionized air.
>
> Ed

Ed,

I tried letting a fan blow on the gaps while the coil operated, but
it didn't help.  I also tried offsetting the gaps to reduce the dwell
time, but that didn't help either.  In past work with higher bps
coils, I saw a benefit from offsetting the gaps in that manner.
These results are what prompted me to suggest the explanation
I gave.  Of course I still can't be sure.

Cheers,
John