Re: Just starting out

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

28/03/2002 15:05:29, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dan_Gallagher%
PULSARNOTES-at-pulsartech-dot-com>

>Hi guys,
>I may not be worthy of this group

nobody is 'unworthy' this group is open to all
comers - from the expereienced professional to
the complete novice

>because you all sound like highly
>intelligent engineers to me.

its all done with smoke and mirrors ;-)

> But I've been involved with electronics all
>my life. I've been a repair lab tech for
years.
>My question is I am interested in building my
own tesla coil. I'm not
>talking about a huge one with 10 foot arcs,
maybe 12" or so arcs.

>Would you guys have any recommendations for
where to start.

	The safest, and easiest way to start is
with a coil powered by a neon sign transformer
or an oil burner ignition transformer, as
these are current limited internally.
	Get some of the geek group caps, make a
simple static spark gap, it need not be more
complex than a pair of bolts - sure this wont
make for top performance but it will give you
a starting point.
	From here the sky, or the nearest
grounded object, or your utility supply. is
the limit.
	i notice you are in florida, which seems
to have quite a lot of coilers in, make sure
to find out when the next teslathon is -
seeing a coil in action and talking to people
is extremely valuable.

I work for an
>electric utility communications company
dealing with communications via
>power-line carrier and fiber optics. I am the
technical writer here. This
>seems to me like it could be a valuable
resource for this interest of mine.

>Like right now I took from their discards a
huge coil that looks like a
>cigarette butt stand. You know those
cigarette butt stands with the tray of
>sand on the top. It seems to me I should be
able to use this in some way in
>making my tesla coil but without expert
advice like from you guys I don't
>know.

the best way of getting unknown items
identified is to post a picture of it - either
at your own website or on the hotstreamer-dot-com
site.

>I'm very interested in starting and I am
aware of the safety protocol of
>working with high voltage.

Excelent - at least we wont be getting "is it
a good idea to put the output of my pole pig
on my tongue to check it is working?" type
posts!

>Thank you very much.

Regards

Alex

>  Daniel Gallagher -- Graphic
designer/Technical writer
>                       Pulsar Technologies,
Inc.
>"THE BRIGHT STAR IN UTILITY COMMUNICATIONS"
>   4050 N.W. 121 Ave. Coral Springs, FL 33065
U.S.A.
(www.pulsartech-dot-com)