Re: A few Q's from a beginner

Hi Brad,

A flat spiral made from 1/4 inch copper tubing form the hardware store is a
VERY popular and well proven way to go.  Helical primaries tend to over couple
and arc over badly.  Cone shaped primaries work well too but they are just
harder to make with no real electrical advantage.  Some people think they
"look" cool.

Everyone is making MMC caps these days.  MMCs have pretty much obsoleted all
the other cap types.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm

http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/

Their website is a little under construction right now but I "think" the caps
are like $3.50 each.  Almost everyone gets theirs now days.

The Geek Group has very good deals on 0.150uF 2000V caps that can be strung
together for various NST and gap types:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

Cheers,

        Terry