Re: insulation testing

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All,

For basic insulation testing, I use a NST and a full-wave rectifier.  I
submerge the part to be tested (say a loop of enameled magnet wire) in a SW
bath and put the negative lead of the FWR in the bath, and the positive to
the item to be tested.  Then I bring up the voltage with a variac and watch
the amp-clamp on the NST primary.  When the current spikes, that usually
means it's broken through the insulation.  This is a pretty basic and crude
test, but it works for me.

Shad G2-1203