Re: The Best Pmimary Type Was: A few Q's from a beginner

Original poster: "torlin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net>

 From the few pics I have seen of The Colorado Springs
Lab, I believe Tesla himself was using a solenoidal
primary.  ( I think that is the one where the windings are
vertical | | instead of conical \  /  or /  \.  However,
he had quite a bit more power available for his disposal.

I personally used a solenoidal and an inversed cone \  /
primary, and just naked eye observations, I thought the
cone was a bit better where it counted, arc length.

However, I didn't get into all the phase variations, and
was using only a static SG, instead of the fancy rotary,
phase matched, tungsten and whatever spark gap.

I was building in my garage, for the fun, and my spark gap
was a couple of lifters stolen from the local auto garage
when they were repairing my engine.  Flat surface, about
the size of a dime, and a couple of doorknob caps, and an
old oil furnace transformer I stole from my dad when he
changed to gas.

Perhaps someone out there with the lab equipment and cash
to back it up can build several different shapes of
primary, and see what looks best, both in arc length, and
all the neat lab tests that people seem to need.