electronic damage

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

a couple days ago i was running my small (2x12" secondary) flyback powerd
coil with the gap set really close, and i was trying to see what frequency
the primary resonated at using an antenna and o-scope. my coil is REALLY
far out of tune and i was trying to figure out which way to go, but right
as i was about to turn it off my 30 volt power supply died. it was about 5
feet away from the coil. today my signal generator died doing the same
thing, but it was off and about two feet away. how did these die? im
guessing it was because of induced voltages from the primary, but could it
have been from the wall? if its the first one, how far away would be safe
when my coil actually runs and i get some breakout? i was going to
eventually power it with a rectified solid state nst instead of my flyback,
but now i am afraid of killing it too. could i shield it some how? the 30
volt supply was in a metal case, so im guessing not. thanks for your help

JImmy