Re: Large flybacks for HV work

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

> Very large flyback transformers available:
>
> If anyone on the list needs some super large flybacks for experimental work I
> have a bunch that were special runs for RRC with 4,000 turns of #39 AWG
on the
> sec. and a center tapped 16 turn primary already on the core.  Covered
> completely in nice grey silicone RTV (dipped in vacuum chamber).
>
> These are 10% large than the old 1970's TV flybacks that produced a
> steady-state 30 kV DC.  These will also produce a steady 32 kV DC with only a
> rectifier and HV diode string.  They also perform great as a HV power supply
> with either single wave or doubler rectification (60 kV DC with doubler
> circuit) delivering 2-3 mA of steady state current.
>
> Operated as a Tesla coil they produce a solid 1.75 inch arc in open air off a
> needle electrode.  They light up flourescent tubes, neon tubes, and argon
tubes
> without wires.  Just connect output to a "radiator plate" of aluminum for
> special effects.
>
> I have some remaining extra run units that I'm selling off for $45 per unit.
> Estimate shipping at $6.85 USPS or UPS to most CONUS locations.
>
> First come, first served on the remaining units.

	I'm very interested, but a couple of questions first.

1. What is the driving circuit you use?  Is it a "flyback" circuit or a
switching converter?

2. Is that 1.75 inch arc the one you get when you bring the secondary
leads close together and then move then apart?  Seems as if it would
have to be.  If so, what is the approximate open-circuit breakdown
length for leads with something approximating needle points?

Ed