Re: Energy Transfer (Re: SSTC As a transmitter).

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz

> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> Tesla list wrote:
>>Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>>>But,imagine the situation when someone is possible with
>>>source of (only!) 7 MW power to control the flow of
>>>waste amout of potential power in atmosphere (that
>>>would be nothing else than energy of Sun converted).

>>        Imagination is a wonderful thing.  SOME things
>>        can be imagined that are not going to work,
>>        ever.  Imagine what could be done with the
>>        effort/money spent on something that doesn't work.

> I wonder just what this "waste amout of potential power

> in atmosphere" really is, and what is its magnitude?

	We get down to 'how did the system work/was
	proposed to work', which is not clear.

> If it is the energy stored in the ionosphere's voltage

> with respect to the earth, the amount isn't really
> very large.

	Indeed.

> Typical values given for the voltage are of the order of
> 350 kv, and the average current flowing due to lightning

> strikes is of the order of 1000 amps.

	And, at the risk of getting quasi mystical myself,
	one wonders what the result of CHANGING that
	flow would be, what impact on natural systems...

> That's only about 350 megawatts.

	Tiny, in the scale of world wide consumption.

> Note that the energy which creates the cloud

> electrification comes from convection due to solar heating

> of the earth's surface, so this is really "solar energy".

> However, the conversion efficiency is terrible.
	Uhuh.

	And if the system were broadcast power, there is
	the problem of 'diffusion', for lack of a better
	word: the power DOES NOT politely go to the
	receiver, but is spread, universally, more or
	less smoothly, across the earth.

--
	best
	dwp