Re: Magnetic properties of stainless steel

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Scott Hanson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

> Almost all the commonly-encountered stainless steel grades are slightly
> magnetic, but you have to check very carefully. A small, powerful rare earth
> magnet (ex disk drive, etc) will make it more apparent, but don't expect it
> to be "magnetic" like carbon steel or soft iron is. In most cases, the
> magnetic effect will be barely perceptible.
>
> The alloy series known as austenitic stainless steels (300 series) are
> magnetic. Martinsitic and ferritic SS alloys (400 series) are non-magnetic.
>
> The magnetic properties of the alloy are also affected by "cold working".
> Almost every small stainless steel coil spring will be slightly more
> magnetic than the wire it was wound from because of the cold working
> phenomenon.
>
> Scott Hanson

	Interesting.  I have some "free machining" bar stock here (304???)
which doesn't produce filings  (or rather grindings) which seem to be
attraced to a neodynium based magnet.  Is that one of the "magnetic"
SS's?

	I'll take this chance to ask Antonion about stainless steel coins.
That's the first I've ever heard of any.

Ed