Re: slow-wave helical resonator

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>

> I would appreciate the list's critical comments regarding the accuracy of
> the following definition:

> slow-wave helical resonator
> A resonant circuit consisting of a single-layer cylindrical inductor wound
> in the form of a helix, usually including capacitive end loading.  The speed
> of a wave disturbance along the axis of the helix is significantly less than
> the propagation of an electromagnetic wave in free space.  A Tesla coil's
> secondary and a magnifying transmitter's base-driven extra coil can both
> behave as a slow-wave helical resonators, the latter propagating the wave at
> around 17% the speed of light in free space.

	If i were writing it, i would omit the '17%' as that is
	like geometry (aspect ratio dependent), arguably adding
	something like, roughly:
		The propagation velocity will vary with the
		aspect ratio, 'thinner' coils being
		slower.  For aspect ratio of 'foo'
		velocities of 17% are typical.
	(adjust values to suit reality....)