Re: Y doesnt coupled voltage go straight to ground-Check the Archives

Hi Dan,

At 09:27 AM 8/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am a newbie coiler and have been a member of the
>list for a month now.  I have been going thru the
>archives off and on for a year and a half and have
>been refraining from asking questions to keep from
>sounding simple and uninformed.  I have had 4 years
>of electronics training and i understand minimal
>calculus in theory but havent had any experience with
>applying it to a useful situation.
>
>As mentioned earlier, many people have been asking
>virtually the same questions over and over and i
>have been gathering bits and pieces from the feedback
>to their questions.  This has helped me greatly, but
>doesnt answer all of mine.  I have been searching
>the archives for specifics but as Terry mentioned, the
>archives are getting huge, and as i already found out,
>they arent the easiest thing to navigate.

The Google search engine needs to "learn" the "best" places to go.  I am
not sure it is the best way to go for the archives.  It is very difficult
to teach it anything when one is randomly trying to find something...  It
works better for Google since everyone knows where they are going on the
big web, but does not seem to be very effective for the archives....  I
have years of posts in text format...  Maybe there is a better "system" to
apply to it...  If anyone has any ideas they can write me off list.  Chip
runs the pupman site, but maybe if we can come up with something better he
could change it.

>A lot of the messages i open up seem to be repeats
>of the same thing, with no added thoughts from other
>coilers.  Having a 53k bottleneck doesnt help speed
>up this situation.  Just keeping up with the daily
>list messages and obnoxious spam takes many hours out
>of my day and i do not work and no longer go to school.
>I understand a lot of what is going on with building
>a coil, but some of the trivial topics either dont
>show up in the books or i may have passed over them by
>accident.

Terry needs to work on insuring posts are "pertinent" more ;-))

>For example, why doesnt the coupled voltage/current go
>straight down the secondary ground and dissipate into
>the earth.  I assume the current is attracted to the
>earth ground thru either a magnetic field or a
>gravitational pull.  If you plunge water up a pipe, and
>retract the plunger, the water comes back down the pipe
>upon reversal due to suction and gravity.  Doesnt the
>reversal part of the oscillation in the secondary have
>some type of voltage pull on the topload???

Gravity and magnetic fields do not affect the coil in the way you mention.
We actually put "energy" into the secondary.  Current can't flow into the
ground without changing the voltage of the top terminal.  If current goes
out, it must also come in somewhere.  I am at a bit of a loss to explain
this through typed words.  It takes a lot of arm waving and diagrams.  A
tough question...  Maybe someone else can do better than me...

>This leads me to my main question . . . cant a search
>engine be installed in the archives to help speed up
>the search efforts???  This would help out us less
>informed beginners and keep some of the veteran coilers
>from having to be a beat a lame horse to death.  If there
>were still questions, they could be asked accordingly.

I used to search the text files for "keywords" that I knew were rather
specific to a topic, but I had already read them before.  Microsoft notepad
or any word processor that can deal with like 20Meg files can do that.  But
maybe there is a far better but still simple way to do it.  I am not a
programmer or search engine expert, but if someone has ideas, I have about
100++ Meg of files ;-))  Maybe it could all be burnt onto a CD or something.

The files are at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Archives/

But probably best if I put them on CD and send them to anyone who wants to
play with them.  Chip has tons too...  Could be just a single giant text
file that a good search tool that does "and, or, not" could sift reasonably
quickly...  About 40,000 posts since mid 1999...  Chip has them back to
like 95...  It would be nice it they were all categorized and edited, but
that would be a horrific task!!  A program could do some logic like find
posts that are original (no "re:" in the subject) and then find the first
three replies.  Assuming if it had an answer, the "good" answer was given
quickly...  If you could then put the subjects in order and eliminate the
obvious ones (like "carp gap" :o)), you could probably get down to some
fundamental core posts and answers.  Best to search in reverse order since
some of the old 95, 96, 97... posts are pretty out of date...  Of course,
the possibilities and time one could spend on things like this is infinite
unless someone already has the method figured out...  Getting it onto a web
site also requires "skill"...

A lot of people have "started" these things, but it really is a BIG task...
 Just like writing that new Tesla book "sounds" easy, I am sure DC Cox and
John Couture could tell us how much effort it really takes!  I always got
overwhelmed at the "table of contents" stage ;-))

>I am sure the majority of the list members have a faster
>isp connection than i do and dont have to wait a long time
>for these messages to appear, but they also have lives . .
>. and jobs to tend to.  Having to read thru and answer the
>hundreds of posts each day makes me appreciate their vast
>knowledge even more.  There is a difference between a newbie
>asking a question that a different newbie asked the month
>or week before and having to open up and see the same exact
>post from the same person more than 2 times.  Keeping up
>with this list is informative, but can also be time consuming
>and tiring.  I think it might be time for bed now.  Hope i didnt
>put anyone to sleep.  Thanks for listening.

Getting multiple answers that are the same just goes with the territory.
Most people will answer right away and then find that some one said that 5
posts latter.  Just the way it is.  The Tesla list is a VERY busy mailing
list...  It is rather remarkable so many people put up with so many posts.
But it pretty much just seeks it's natural level...

Cheers,

	Terry