Re: streamer loading effect

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>I tried it tonight.  The secondary is 22.1mH and without a top load it
>resonated at 356.6kHz which suggest an capacitance of 9.01pF
>
>When I put the top terminal on, the frequency dropped to 227.3kHz or
>22.18pF so the terminal "adds" 13.17pF.
>
>With the wire streamer, the frequency is 190.7kHz or 31.52pF for another
>9.34pF which is what the streamer seems to add.
>
>So the frequency dropped 16.1% and the capacitance increased 42% from the
>wire streamer load.  That sounds about 2X too high to me compared to a real
>streamer case, but those are the results of this test.
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Terry

Hi Terry,

That is really insightfull, i bet that i needed to tune even lower than
where i was, when i was getting about 56".  It is looking like, i have made
a very apropriate size primary for my coil.  I have a 4"tall x 26" total
diameter toroid for now, and im tuning at about 13 turns, with 15 available.
  Hopefully i will video it tomorrow night, and maybe take some pics from
the video.  Maybe i will see my coil arcing to the ground, at just a tad
over 5 feet.  Sounds good to me!

Steve Ward.