Re: tesla coil uses an air core. why?

> One point I'd make is that you can store an unlimited amount of
> energy in "air" without suffering serious non-linearities.

	I'd rephrase that to say that:
		Air will not magnetically saturate.
	For a given volume, tho, more flux (roughly:
	energy) is handled with a 'magnetic' core than with an
	air core, and better control of stray fields is
	achieved.  Using the magnetic core DOES mean
	watching for saturation effects.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...