Re: OLTC update

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> But then we do have scope for controlling the timing of the
> switching, so maybe things could be controlled automatically
> somehow.  If you get into that sort of territory, you can
> conjecture building up a traveling pulse waveform along a primary,
> by firing caps consecutively, so that the energy is built up
> into a single broadband pulse.  You'd set things for a steady
> impedance transformation along the way, and the primary would
> couple to or merge into a secondary, which would continue the
> impedance transformation (by some cunning choice of coil profile)
> to give a single huge voltage pulse at the top.  Picture a deep
> atlantic wave approaching a beach, rolling up in the shallows,
> trading width for height.  The deep sea wave sees a gradual
> impedance change as the beach applies some extra boundary
> conditions.  Surfers know the beaches with the best profiles -
> wonder what shape of coil would turn a long duration, low-voltage,
> high-current, broadband pulse applied at one end, into a short,
> high voltage, low current pulse at the other.  Note that this is
> quite unlike a normal TC.  We're now firing up multiple resonant
> modes, and timing them so that they momentarily converge to a
> single giant voltage pulse at one end (preferably the far end)
> of the coil.  But before anyone gets too excited, there are some
> problems with this approach and it's not likely to give you any
> more topvolts per joule than a regular TC, if my sums are correct.

This is precisely a "multiple resonance network". See the references
at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html
A system with many stages looks as a kind of nonuniform transmission
line, where the pulse caused by a capacitor discharge at the input
evolves to a high-voltage pulse at the output. The directly coupled
system that I recently described is the simplest version, that behaves
as a Tesla coil. The next one behaves as a magnifier, and the same
idea can be extended to any number of sections, with higher and higher
gain as stages are added and more reflections are allowed (higher modes
of operation, or less frequency spread in the resonances).
I have a program that can design and simulate these circuits, up to
12 or 13 resonances, at:
ftp://coe.ufrj.br/pub/acmq/mres.zip

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz