Re: My Basement ground system: Your opinions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/12/02 2:40:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> The goal is not to ultimately make connection to earth ground, but to
> utilize the sheer mass of the pipes imbedded in the concrete slab floor. A
> counterpoise, which will also capacitively couple to the earth underneath
> the floor.
>
> Cold water grounding for Tesla Coils is generally not recommended,
> especially at high power levels. In my case, I think the floor pipes are the
> better option, though maybe you're right that a dedicated  ground would be
> superior. I think you'll find, however, that a single ground rod driven into
> the ground will not produce an RF ground of sufficiently high Q with respect
> to Tesla Coil operation.
>
> That's my current understanding, open to correction, of course.
> Dave

Hi Dave,
       Yes, your hot water piping system is a large counterpoise capacitively
coupled to ground. It will also be capacitively coupled to every metal object
in the basement AND an inch or two of concrete and the soles of your shoes will
be the dielectric that capacitively couples your feet to the counterpoise. If
you are touching something else that is grounded while running your coil, this
may not have the effect you desire. :^((
       My solution to a basement ground was to drill a 5/8" hole in the floor
and pound in a copper 6-foot grounding rod to within an inch of flush, then
attach a 5-ft auto battery cable to the rod using the battery terminal clamp. I
use the same technique when I moved to the garage/workshop.

Matt D.

"Experience keeps a dear school ..." Benjamin Franklin, Dec. 1743