Re: Where to find a distribution transformer (POLE PIG)

Such a strategy in California, land of nice weather and lots o' attorneys
with (unbillable) time on their hands, is unlikely to work.  Just in case
list readers in this state were hoping that the "case of beer" approach
might work.  Perhaps in a very rural area, with a very small utility, and
people who trust you, etc., but certainly not in any town or city of any
size.  In Los Angeles, for instance, the utilities (DWP, SCE, Enron, etc.)
all have contracts with hazmat disposal people who take suspect (meaning
all) devices away for "safe disposal".  They don't even like having them in
the yard after pulling them off the pole, just in case it happens to leak a
bit, and the yard becomes an instant Superfund site.  Probably because big
utilities have (had?) deep pockets, so therefore make a decent target
(you'll note that in "Erin Brockovich" they weren't suing East Podunk
Electric Utility...)..

Either you need to find one that a private party has and is willing to sell
you (sans certifications...) (somewhat of a risk, depending on your personal
situation and assets), or, you bite the bullet and pay the few hundred bucks
to get a certified one from one of the big rebuilders like T&R, etc.