Re: neon tube indicator

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

No, this is not kosher.  Only a moron would trust some sort of indication
device for detecting high voltage on a high voltage capacitor.  Remember,
high voltage capacitors may store a lethal charge.  And in my trade ( i
design transmitters and power supplies up to 200kV and up) there have
already been two people I know who've died and another one who had her hands
blown clear off her body.  The safest way to deal with these capacitors is
the following:

1.  Use bleeder resistors in your system (or integrated into your MMC if you
have one)

2.  Wait a few minutes after you power down, then using a GROUNDING rod
touch both sides of the capacitor and any other possible energy storage
device in your circuit to ensure it *IS* discharged.  (If you have a very
large capacitor - not likely in tesla coil work - I'm talkin; 10uF+, 60kV+,
then there would be series resistance in the grounding rod)  The is industry
standard practice.  Then leave one end of the grounding rod attached to the
capacitor while you work on the area.  I know it may seem a little overkill,
but again the life you save could be your own!!!

Dan