Re: copper vs. aluminum

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Or you could use copper plus copper chloride (CuCl2).

Salt plus aluminium is simply dreadful combination.

Salt water just rots aluminium -white crusty surface deposits appear and
holes soon form in the metal. Look at aluminium objectwhich have been
exposed to a marine environment for some time -they exhibit just this kind
of corrosion and do not last long.

I have had experience in a TC situation when once used salted wallpaper
paste to aluminium stick foil strips to a polystyrene foam toroid.
 I had previously been making gelled-salt water capacitors and had added
salt to the paste to make the "gel" -some of the paste had been left over
and I used it to stick the foil to the toroid. Silly, I know- a few days
later corrosion spots appeared in the foil -which was found to be eaten
through with holes when I had to removed it.

Worse still, anything alkaline like sodium hydroxide (caustic soda;NaOH) or
sodium carbonate (soda; Na2CO3) these will attack aluminium forming
explosive hydrogen (not good with sparks around) and the reaction gets
faster with with hot solutions
-another good reason not to use aluminium electrodes with alkalis in "salt
water" capacitors.

Jolyon