Re: OLTC update

Jumping in ahead of Terry here...

In the typical TC where you're feeding the tank with a high impedance AC
source (i.e. a NST ), then you put the gap across the transformer to serve
as a safety gap, with the primary C charging through the primary L, and the
voltage source shorting during the spark.  Fortunately, the source is
current limited (by design), and the spark doesn't last very long (low DC),
and you don't really want to start trying to recharge the C during the
"bang" anyway.

In Terry's design, it's more of a resonant charger from a DC source, so you
need to have the primary C fed through an inductor from a fairly stiff (low
impedance) source.