Re: Problem with Synchronous Motor and Timing Light

In a message dated 8/16/02 10:20:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Dan,

You unfortunately may have a hysteresis sync motor.  This type
locks into a different position every time it starts, and everytime
it loses lock.  You need a salient pole sync motor.  These can
be bought, or made, by modifying a normal induction motor, by
grinding flats onto the armature.....  2 flats for a 3600rpm motor,
4 flats for an 1800 rpm motor.  The width of the flats should be about 1/4
the armature diameter.  If you have an 1800 rpm motor, and it shifts
90 degrees when loses lock and re-locks, that would be normal.
If it locks to any a spot at any random number of degrees shifted,
then it's a hysteresis motor.  You can use a hysteresis motor,
but you have to adjust the phase every time you use the tesla coil.
This is usually inconvenient, so folks usually avoid the use of those motors.
One fellow flips the motor switch on/off a few times until it happens
to phase up good enough for the coil to run.  I don't favor that
technique however.

John