Re: Problem with Synchronous Motor and Timing Light

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

>Thanks.  So i guess i need to tune my SRSG everytime before i use my coil???
>I thought a salient pole motor would start up in the same position every
>time i powered it up.
>
>Dan

snipperzz...

Hi Dan ...

salient pole motors will lock up onto the rotor "in the same place" each
time it is turned on ( well at least in 90 degree increments).
hysterisis types can lock up at  (360 degrees/ number of rods in
rotor/2) degree intervals ( i think I have my math correct :) )

modified 1725 rpm induction motors will lock in at 90 degree intervals
3600 rpms lock in at 180 degree intervals

BTW...   I have noticed that when running a 1725 modified motor, if you
"reverse" the plug ( plug it in upside down) it will throw the rotor 45
degrees out of phase...  havent figured this one out yet....

see if Dr. Res will exchange the motor for a salient pole....

hang in there ...   it could be worse   you could be learning about
lasers instead ;)

Scot D