OLTC update

Hi All,

I got the caps and IGBTs mounted up:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-17-01.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-17-02.jpg

Doesn't look like much does it ;-)  But right there you have your primary
coil, MMC, and solid state spark gap...  Only 9 pounds...  Each of those
ten IGBTs can pump 200 amps peak and the caps max out at 500 amps each
:-))))  The caps can do 168 amps RMS and the IGBTs 510 amps DC all day long
;-))  One heck of a lot of current there!!  We may not have 20,00 volts,
but we got current ;-))  I figure if I have a primary that can couple to
the secondary at a K of 0.15 and sustain a ringdown of 2000+ amps...  I can
make a Tesla coil :-)))

Sort of an MMC and solid state spark gap all wrapped up in one ;-))  Went
together pretty easily, but I have lots of tricks ;-))  Soldering IGBT
leads to 0.025 copper plate takes a big soldering iron on the "ludicrous"
setting (I used two ;-)).  Took about 1/2 second of "heat" ;-))

It would almost power on enough to test the Fo frequency, but I ran out of
steam tonight.

I am going to order some torroid inductors cores from this cool place Jim
mentioned:

http://www.alphacore-dot-com/stcores.htm

Nice big cores at very good prices.  If this OLTC thing is a "go", this
would be a great place to get the inductor.  Might also be good for MOT
folks for a current limiting inductor.

Mostly spent time doing yardwork and paperwork today...

Cheers,

	Terry