Re: Primary Resonant Frequency question . . .

In a message dated 8/18/02 1:40:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Dan,

I'm surprised the frequency is different than that suggested
by the calculations.  If you used a computer program such as
Bart's JavaTC, it should be reasonably accurate.  Terry's
Tesla E-6 program gives very good results for the topload
capacitance.

There is one thing you can do to solve the problem.  You
can use an off axis inductance in series with the primary.
This is a so-called "tuning coil".  This has the added
advantage of permitting the coil to be tuned during operation
(Wow!).  The only disadvantage of the use of the tuning coil
is that it will reduce the coupling.  This is actually not a
problem however, since you can simply lower the secondary
slightly to compensate.  If you want the tuning coil to be
adjustable during operation, a motorized antenna tuning
coil should be used as the variable off-axis inductor.  You
could add this motorized feature at a later date.

John