Re: IGBTs and CW Tesla Coils

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Hi All,
>
>         Terry's work with IGBTs has made me wonder if they could be used in
> continuous wave SSTCs.  Since you SSTC guys are just using MOSFETs as
> switches anyway, couldn't IGBTs be used instead?  I don't know how high
> IGBTs can be pushed frequency-wise.  Also are IGBTs PNP or NPN?
>
>         These things sound pretty cool.  I might have to buy some :-)).
>
> Thanks,
> Winston K.

	If the frequency were low enough I think they could be used in an
appropriate circuit, which I'm not defining.  At one time Marconi used a
transmitter with a really high speed rotary gap which produced one spark
per cycle of the RF.  Of course, the frequency was down around 20 kHz.

Ed