Re: OLTC Update

At 07:42 AM 8/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Terry,
...>
>As previously mentioned, a possible downside is that, through
>transformer action, some of the secondary's energy will be extracted
>during secondary ringdown, resulting in partial recharging of the tank
>caps through the internal HexFRED diodes. But even this shouldn't be too
>much of a problem since the tank caps will only recharge when the
>induced tank EMF is greater than the voltage stored on the tank caps.
>Since the induced primary voltage will be constrained by the
>secondary-to-primary turns ratio (i.e., with the diode in the circuit
>energy transfer is no longer resonant between secondary and primary),
>the actual amount of power lost in this fashion should be comparatively
>small. And, unlike a spark gap, the energy is not actually lost, but is
>"recycled" back to the tank cap instead of being burned up.
>
>Great job, Terry - dang, you're getting me excited now...!
>
>Best regards,
>
>-- Bert --
>--

Hi Bert,

I ran a model of this situation:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-19-01.gif

The waveform looks like:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-19-02.gif

There is a little recharging of the cap.  Since the energy in the cap is
proportional to V^2, this energy is pretty small.  Compare the green output
wavefrom to a perfect case:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-19-03.gif

The coil's output does not appear to be visibly affected.  So we may be
fine.  Just have to see what happens in real life.

Cheers,

	Terry