OLTC'CEEC' IGBT Bidirectional Switch

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Terry, All

I mentioned earlier that it would only be a matter of time
before a 'C-E-E-C' matrix converter module would be
available from suppliers.  Check out attached URL's:

 http://www.powerpulse-dot-net/cgi-bin/displayprod_new.pl?id=6349

This is announcement from PowerPulse-dot-net concerning a new device
from Dynex.

 http://www.dynexsemi-dot-com/products/pdf/ds5524.pdf

The Dynex part (DIM400PBM17-A000) is a +/- 1.7kV, 400A power
block module (PBM) bidirectional switch designed for brushless motor
controllers and matrix converters.  AFAIK, this is the first
commercial
offering of a modular bidirectional controlled power switch.  Pulse
currents
are quite impressive (>800A), as well as thermal power rating (3.4kW),

and isolation voltage to a grounded heatsink (4.0kV).  I wonder if our
UK
counterparts could determine availability and pricing??   Probably WAY
too
"rich" for my (our) pocketbook(s)...   :^C ; but the "correct" way to
go for
high power industrial type applications.  My guess is cost will
probably be
in the $1,500-3,000 US range each.  But we are talking REAL parts
here,
not "vapourware"...  :^).

 http://www.dynexsemi-dot-com/products/appnotes/data/an4504.pdf

This is an application note from Dynex covering typical manufacturer
specifications for high power IGBT's, generic stuff typical for IR or
other manufacturers.  The specification of "Peak Pulse Power Ratings"
is not listed due to obvious circuit/design variances that can lead to

device destruction, even when not intended.  Based on all data I've
seen , IGBT's are generically capable of 2X Ic continuous on a
pulse power basis, and N channel Power MOSFET's (enhancement)
are capable of up to 4X pulse power rating (with restrictions).

More food for thought...

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA