async rotary control

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol-dot-com>

I have an async rotary made from a 12000rpm angle grinder. Even with only 2
electrodes in the disk it's 400rpm and I wanted to try varying it's speed to
something lower. I was going to use a dimmer switch but when I turn down the
dimmer it actually sounds like it speeds up and also vibrates more. Any ideas
of why that happens? Also I was wondering if a cheap variable transformer
could be made by winding one or two layers of magnet wire on a normal EI core
then sanding the windings on one side and making a device with brushes on it
to slide across the sanded side to vary the voltage? I really don't feel like
buying another variac to control the rotary but I have a nice core and some
thick magnet wire to use and I couldn't think of any reason why a variac
needs a O core except so that it allows for the use of a rotating contactor.

Mark