RE: Resonance - what is it? and OLTC stuff

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Jonathon -

I reread my post below and realized that the barn door cap is a neat
demostration of voltage rise but it is not a demonstration for resonance.
Resonance has to do with RCL circuits and frequencies and a different
equation. The equation is
        Fr = 1/(2pi sqrt(LC))
With a series circuit and at resonance the current is maximum and the rise
in voltage occurs across the C or L. With a parallel circuit and at
resonance the impedance is a maximum and the voltage rise occurs across the
C and L.

The Q factor of the coil is a ratio of  2piFr/R  and is an indicator of how
high the voltage may rise. The voltage will be higher if the coil inductance
is higher or the resistance is lower.

John Couture