Re: Mirror Ball as VDG Sphere?

> I got this link from this list awhile back:

> http://www.waterscapesweb-dot-com/orbs.html

> I was eye-balling the stainless steel "mirror balls"
> as possible TC discharge terminals, but I've had mixed
> results using spherical terminals. The sphere doesn't
> seem to shade the top turns the way a toroid does, and
> the breakout goes any which way, including back to the
> base of the secondary! Plus, it causes problems with
> breakout from the top turns. Anybody getting good
> results with spheres?

> Now what about a VDG terminal?

	What KIND of VdG terminal?
	All manner of terminals have been used:
		Spherical
		modified spherical with curved re-entry,
		'donut' (Torus)
		'drum' with spherical top and curved
		'half toroid' bottom.

> I was thinking I could hire a machinist to bore a nice

>round hole in one of these

	Lawn Balls?

> and have myself a professional-looking VDG sphere.

> However, I anticipate trouble with corona
> leakage at the rim of the entry hole, since it would
> not be beveled inward.

	Yep.  I would expect problems.  Professional
	VDG spheres have carefully crafted reentrant
	radius surfaces.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...