magnifier physical layout

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I was bored the other night with the coil and decided to play around...

took the secondary off and ran the oscope to see it ring. not a very clean
signal.  then for kicks...

grabbed one of my other secondaries.  picked two top loads.
the "tertiary" was placed on a stand about 3ft away from coil.
connected via 14gauge solid wire from "plate" on secondary (a topload was
directly above that) then to the bottom of the "tertiary" which also had a
smaller top load.

i expected the tuning to change slightly and i didn't by any means expect a
working magnifier. i was bored like i said.

well, watching the oscope showed waveforms that I couldnt ID plus my scope
is 15yrs and in need of repair.

it appeared to tune somewhere around turn 14.
which made me think it was just resonating with both sec / ter coils
as one.  which yields my question, did i connect it right?(the sec to
tertiary)

btw, the wire connecting the sec to tertiary coil was a nice fat 1" corona
wire when running.  very cool and sci-fi-ish.

secondary 4"pvc 36" winding length w/22awg. topload 12" saladbowls in sphere
form.

tertiary 4"pvc 27.5"winding length w/24awg. topload 3"x12" toroid w/4"
aluminum covered magic 8ball for center support.

tank cap 12.6nf, 12kv/60ma nst.
primary 1/4" copper on 1/2" centers, id 9.375"

larry.