Re: diode check

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

Steve, all,

I've run into this problem recently, my MOT supply is starting to blow
diodes, as I have no filter stuff for them. I put a diode and a mo cap
in series across a variac, dial it up and see if the cap charges. If
the diode faults closed, the cap readings will be in AC, and random charges
will be left on the cap upon switch-off. If the diode faults open, the
cap won't charge. A good diode should charge the cap to 1.414x the (RMS)
AC reading across your variac. Don't put a diode in parallel with the
variac, the current will kill the diode.

List, is this a valid test?

--
Wells Campbell
wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com