Re: OLTC update - Coupling figured out :-)

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

terry's three turns in parralell would act like 1 turn if they were perfectly
coupled, however because the coupling isnt perfect the inductance goes down a
little. i was thinking about making a sstc with igbts and a quick rise time. i
found some igbts that could be used in hard switching applications up to
150khz. another one said 40khz in hard switching and >200 khz in resonant
switching. i intuitively  guessed that ss spark gaps would be less efficien
than sstcs. i checked that by making pspice models of both, it looked like (at
k=.15) i could get the same rise time with about 1/5 the average current as in
a spark gap design. with high coupling i guess ss spark gaps could do as good.
wouldn't higher k be attainable because of the electronic quenching? i know you
would still have to worry about the insulation, but it seems like you could
find  a good way to fix that.

 Tesla list