Re: Tuning a tesla coil without high voltage power

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Dan,

Perhaps I missed it but I do not recall seeing a description of your secondary
coil. A resonant freq of 195 kHZ  with the topload sounds kinda high so you
must have a fairly large coil. Also, what is your 13-turn primary wound with?
What is the spacing between turns,
and what is the distance between the pri and sec?

Can you measure L sec? You can always use the formula to calculate Lsec. Then
you can use Terry's method to find the coefficient of coupling (k). Also, I
would temporarily
ditch the SRSG which requires careful phasing and accurate gap settings. Try
a simple
stove-bolt SG or some variant. Keep it simple until you get some sparks goin.
Your mmc at 0.028 uF is about rght for a 15/60 NST.

think safety
Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman