Re: Still confused on LTR sized Caps

In a message dated 8/27/02 10:39:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I'm still confused as to how a cap 2.5 times larger than the standard
> >resonant cap would be able to be fully charged
> >in one 60Hz cycle with a synch rotary gap as opposed to a standard static
> >gap. Anyone have some more "hard theory" regarding this???

Dan,

As I mentioned in another posting, with LTR one cannot charge the
cap to as high a voltage as with a resonant value cap.  Thus,
about equal spark length is obtained with either system.
However, the LTR stresses the NST less due to the lower voltage,
and the system runs smoother.  The method of using a somewhat
LTR cap value for smoother operation is mentioned in Morecroft's
book, Principles of Radio Communications, 1921. I've obtained
equal spark lengths
using resonant charging vs. LTR charging.  A sync gap takes
better advantage of inductive kick charging perhaps than a
static gap would, by permitting one to delay the firing of the gap,
to satify characteristics of the NST which favor inductive kick
charging.  This is explained better at Richies website.

The main advantages of LTR are; less stress on the NST,
and smoother operation.

John