John Freau's Motor Phase Controller Design

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Regarding John Freau's Motor Phase Controller:

http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

In his design, he is using a relatively large variac.  What would the
implications be of of using a smaller variac,
say a 2A, 120V variac?  I guess in this case we are using the variac as a
variable inductor, so the inductor values may be different.  I guess, a 2A
120V variac could be used, but the capacitor value would have to be changed
accordingly.

Dan