Re: OLTC update - A problem!

Hi Jimmy,

It is really weird,  I can take the secondary off and run the coil.  The
energies are much the same, but without a secondary, where in the world
does the power go?!

I guess I should run the coil at full power to "find out", but I think the
answer would be "unpleasant" :-))  My guess is that the IGBTs will absorb
the power if nothing else does.  In a conventional coil that is run without
a secondary in place, the spark gap gets much brighter, hotter, and louder.
 I suspect that is still true in the case of the IGBT gap, but the results
are "badder".  If a very low loss primary system "has" to dissipate 500
watts of power, my guess is that the IGBTs will step forward and take it.

there is still much to ponder in all this...

Cheers,

	Terry