no light at all

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol-dot-com>

I finally ran my MOT powered coil. It just wouldn't work, the async rotary
wouldn't fire. I think the problem there ended up being a bad connection in
my control box but after I fixed that it still wasn't working(appearently in
the process of trying to figure out what was going wrong a connection in the
primary came loose). The next day I set it up again and made sure everything
was connected right but still nothing at the spark gap except it would fire
for like a 1/2 a second at around 60v input to the transformers then stop. If
the rotary spark gap motor wasn't turned on but the electrodes were set so
they were in alignment it would fire at around 60v input then keep firing up
to 120v likely because the unmoving gap didn't really quench. The only
explanation I can think of is that the MMC caps shorted out but not really
badly so they still work below a certain voltage so that there is a certain
voltage point in which the voltage is high enough to fire the spark gap but
low enough not to short the caps. I'm guessing the caps shorted out the day
before when the connection to the spark gap came loose. If any one has any
ideas of what the problem is that won't mean ordering an extra 24 capacitors
please inform me, and if it makes any difference the humming of the variac
and ballast in the control box becomes rather loud just before the point when
I think the caps begin to short or the spark gap begins firing.

Mark