Re: Sparkle-ing discharges and Banging SRSG ? ? ?

Hi Ralph,

This applies to NST powered systems.  Often, the combo of
NST leakage reactance characteristics and cap value seems to
create the need for the after-cap-charge-peak firing setting, to
obtain the longest sparks.  Some
combos do not demand the after-the-peak firing setting for
best results.  I know of no easy way to determine this
without actual testing and scope observations.  Of course
a simple trial and error or real time phase adjustment will
find the optimal phase position in all cases, without the
need for scope observations, etc.  Just phase for max
spark output.  Beware however of the *bad* phase position
which will draw tremendous current and give a very poor
power factor, and possibly destroy the NST.  This bad
phase postion (actually a voltage reversal condition),
may actually give longer sparks than the normal position,
when certain NST/cap value combos are used.

Using a ballasted transformer, one can simply adjust the
ballast to give the proper characteristics so that peak firing
can occur and give good results.

Coiling for Today and Tomorrow,
John