Re: science project?

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Hey Adam!
    Here is an odd thought and you might have to run your coil for a number of
hours
at its lowest power to get it to run long enough (and safely enough).

"What is the effect of High Voltage on Crystal Growth"

Get two identical off-the-shelf crystal growing kits (Edmunds has them) and
mix both of them in as per instructions in identical containers (metal?
plastic?  any thoughts?)

Put one in the recommended growing environment and let it grow ... this is your
"control".

Put the other on your topload or connected to it (so is metal better?) and then
run the
coil.  If you can't run it continuously, then get a timer and run it say 1
minute out of
every 10 minutes.

The concept here is to study how all those energetic electrons affect crystal
growth:
stimulates it, changes it, has no effect on it, randomizes it or inhibits it.

Write up a theory >>before<< doing the experiment .. what do you think will
happen?  Why do you think it will happen?

Then document what really happened and write an analysis talking about why.

Remember to examine the effects of disruptive discharges verses continuous
high voltage ... You might have to get a third crystal kit and have it grow
while
being hooked to a Neon Sign transformer ... no sparks just sizzling so to speak
(metal container there,right?).

Another important consideration ... will it be affected by the magnetic field
from the NST or primary/secondary coils, independent from the actual
high voltage?  What would you do to isolate the growth solution from those
fields?

Watch the problem of changing temperatures too ... crystal growth loves static
temperatures ... if you heat the solution up (and down and up, etc) then you
may
alias the experiment.

Be sure to isolate all the things that might affect the growth that have
nothing
to do with high-voltage (what about the UV from the corona for example, or
ozone, or extra evaporation, etc etc?).

What exactly is the high-voltage doing to the solution?

Hope this helps!

Kevin Ottalini