Re: CAPACITOR INFORMATION NEEDED. Also, magneforming...

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Gary, Tom and all,

Those are some really BIG caps! As Gary indicates, because of their large
electrical size and high voltage, it's not likely that they were used in an
RF tank circuit but they may have been part of a high voltage supply, a
pulse forming network (PFN), or voltage or current surge generator. And, as
Gary also suggests, unless the rep rate is high, a variety of alternative
dielectric systems are quite usable for non-RF pulsed power ("mad
scientist") applications. These alternate pulse capacitor dielectric
systems include mylar-oil, kraft paper-polypropylene-oil, and castor oil
soaked kraft paper.

For low duty cycle high voltage reversal (High-Q/ringing) applications a
paper-oil dielectric system can actually be superior to polypropylene!
Because of this, kraft paper-oil and mylar-oil caps are often used in Marx
generators and other low duty cycle surge generators. And, during
industrial electromagnetic forming (Magneforming), a robust work coil is
normally not destroyed during the forming operation. As a result, the
energy storage capacitor is subjected to a high current underdamped
oscillatory waveform where the voltage reversal may reach 90%, and the
capacitor's dielectric system will "see" a transient voltage stress that's
up to 190% of the initially stored voltage.

For these applications Aerovox used to make a "PM" series metal cased
paper-oil dielectric capacitor that was rated for 85% voltage reversal and
150 kA discharge current. However, the rep rate was a very leisurely pulse
every two minutes. The reason that kraft paper and oil are better for this
application has to do with the response of the dielectric system to
overvoltage conditions and the impact on reducing expected lifetime of the
cap. The equation that relates capacitor lifetime versus operating voltage
is often described as a power law equation:

   Life at V2 = Life at V1 (nominal 100% life)*(V1/V2)^n

All things being the same (which they never are...), "n" for foil-oil-kraft
paper dielectric system is about 5 while "n" for a foil-oil-PP system is
about 15. As a result, the lowly foil-oil-kraft paper cap is significantly
more tolerant to transient overvoltage stress than a comparably rated
foil-oil-PP cap. In magneforming, Marx generators, or other high current
surge generators, this means longer operating life for low duty-cycle
ringing discharges and less derating.

BTW, for those of you who've read this far, I'm offering Magneformed
(Shrunken) coins on eBay for an initial price of 1 cent and no reserve. The
Maxwell caps used to created them are foil-oil-PP construction, rated for
20% reversal and 300,000 discharges at 100 kA/pop. You can see the coins at:
http://cgi6.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=berthickman

Happy holidays!

-- Bert --
--