Re: TC discharge... safe or not

Early on, I got a little too close to the sparks running about 5kw or so.
I'm not sure if I was actually hit or not, but definitely within inches. I
was holding my arms up trying to see if I could feel a charge the nearer
and nearer I got to the coil without actually getting hit (NEW COILER
STUPIDITY). A day or two later, my arm was in a very deep pain. I would
describe the pain as similar to bursitis or arthritis. It was quite
annoying, painful (a deep ache), and lasted about a week or so. I have no
doubt my arm was subjected to RF currents and did a bit of cooking (by
either an unseen/unfelt attached spark or coupled in someway to pass
currents through my arm).

As coils increase in power, the sparks grow. Often coilers run in their
garage or similar environment. How often do we increase spark length just
to the point of the sparks not reaching us? Probably too often. Granted,
this event performed in my new coiler days was completely and utterly the
dumbest thing I've ever done, but running long sparks at high powers very
near to "you" is "just as dumb".  I was lucky, you may not be. Leave the
longs sparks for safe outdoor running and keep a goodly distance between
you and the sparks.

Take care,
Bart