Re: Variac Faults

Original poster: "Steveh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve.g.hall-at-attbi-dot-com>

 > Assuming that by bid is successful, how does (clean) compressed air sound
 > for cleaning it out?

I would use caution when using compressed air for cleaning transformers.
Several electrician and mechanic friends have told me that compressed air
can strip the varnish off of motor and alternator windings. I can't imagine
compressed air doing anything to a fresh piece of magnet wire, it usually
takes considerable effort to remove the varnish. However, it seems likely
that the varnish could develop small cracks, become brittle, and loosen up
after many years of use. A vacuum would probably be safer, otherwise keep
the air nozzle some distance from the windings if using compressed air.

Steve