Re: Variac faults: what to look for

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Hi All...

after reading all of the posts ( well most of them dealing with variac
disieses) I noticed one thing that wasnt covered as what to check for...

the insulators that are mounted on the main bolt sets ( usually 1256D
Powerstats) which hold the main core.

Some of the older model  1156 and 1256 use an epoxy coated aluminum cast
block...  other versions use a bakelite block...  anyway..  the epoxy
coated version will break down due to core vibration and eventually wear
thru causing a short to the case ground...   the way I repaired mine was to
place a piece of rubber ( the hi volt electrical tape) on the contact point
of the insulator and core area...

just something else to check  :)

Scot D