Re: IR - Half-Bridge Driver, Model & Schematic

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi Terry, All

Terry has graciously planted (THANKS!) preliminary IR2153D half bridge
sstc model and schematic at::

http://hot-streamer-dot-com  ir2153d-sstc-half-bridge.xls

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/ir2153d-sstc-half-bridge.xls

CAVEATS:
1.  Circuit is unproven, USE AT OWN RISK.  Suggest powering at low
      voltage (24-30V) to determine functionality before applying line level
      voltages.
2.  All adjustments in this (or any derivation) circuits are FLOATING and
      AT LINE POTENTIAL.  Insulated and isolated potentiometers or
      knob hardware for frequency adjustment (or OV/OC setpoint adjustment
      in future enhanced circuits) are critical for operator safety.
3.  Vcc chip generated 16.5V is current limited by HV dropping resistor.
Any
      additional support circuits (Staccato Modulators, OV/OC protection)
      should use CMOS based active circuits and components, to limit current
      drawn from zener regulator in driver.

Additional information:

Jan Wagner>>
According to general specs on chip, source current is 200mA and
sink current is 400mA.  Based on IGBT shown (~100nC Qsw), this
chip should support charging GE junction in ~50ns, similar delays
with large chip FET's.  Both devices are rated at ~40A (600V IGBT,
500V FET)

IR also makes a enhanced version of this chip IR21531D that has half
the dead time (~0.6us).  This would allow operation to 200Khz + and
would be more suited for FET's IMO.

Chips, FET's and IGBT samples are on order, next step is to get some
heatsink / muffin fan hardware.  Will layout PCB  based on German
educational PCB.  1250W at 120VAC (voltage doubled +/-170V rails)
will require line currents of ~ 23A, and Lp = 23.34uH, Ct = 110nF for
Fo of 100kHz.

Will provide more information when it becomes available...
Best Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA