Re: Personal Experience was: Re: Musically Responsive TC's

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

Dan, as the 'individual' in question I have a few thoughts...

Your line of argument, that 'unsuccessful' experiences have no value, would
lead one to disregard the experiences of those who tried to brew tea in a
chocolate teapot, despite the many unsuccessful (and therefore invalid)
experiences of those who tried to do so.

My personal take is that no experience can be more or less valid than
another, only the conclusions we draw from them can have validity.  I
experimented with two different brands of switching neon supply, found that
they both operated in the same mode which was essentially useless for a
sparkgap Tesla coil and then drew the conclusion that further exploration of
this avenue was unlikely to be fruitful.  This seems to me an entirely
reasonable conclusion to draw based on my experience.  In my post I did not
state catagorically that every switch mode neon supply made by every
manufacturer cannot be used in a Tesla coil, only that my experience had
been that they do not yield a useful output.

I know of several coilers just starting out who have bought a solid state
neon supply and been bitterly dissapointed to discover that it is
effectively useless.  The stated aim of this list is not to argue over
philisophical semantics but to share our experiences and better the art of
Tesla coil building.  If my post stopped another newbie from spending their
hard earned cash on a useless supply, then I think that's a good thing.

Terry, if you want to take this off list you're welcome to.

Safe Coiling,
Nick
Nick Field, HVFX
www.hvfx.co.uk