Re:RSG operational notes

Original poster: "Dr.Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

We run most of our medium size coils (4-6.5 kva) at around 380-450 pps using
a standard 1725 RPM motor.  No real advantage in running at 3450 RPM because
the sparks get to "stringy" indicating they don't have a lot of energy.  We
use a standard 1725 RPM 14 in dia rotor with 10-12 electrodes per rotor.  If
you do run at 3000 RPM or higher you need a very low series inductor in
conjunction with a pole pig to pump a lot of current into the caps.  Not
really worth the extra effort.

Also, if you run higher than 2000 RPM you really do need to use 1/2 brass
rod as the axial conductor on the rotor wheel.  Also 1/2 inch dia tungsten
electrodes --- 1/4 inch rod doesn't cut it --- too much heat.  Forget 1/8
inch for serious work above 5 kva.  Very poor quenching as the tungsten gets
red hot at the tip.  Shorting out the sec coil and running with a strobe
light you can clearly see this effect.

Usually no point in running additional series gaps as they dump a lot of
lost energy in heat and light.  Usually 2 gaps work best.  At around 8-10
kva then we use both sides of the rotor to get 4 separate gaps on larger
coils.  More than 4 just wastes energy.

Dr. Resonance