LTR vs. more primary turns

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello, it's me, the guy who can't build a tesla coil right. =P

Since my big coil is out of order for a while, I'm going to take some of
the caps off of it and use them to build a 4kv, 38ma mini coil. However, I
ran into a problem. We all know how a LTR cap increases the coil output,
but as I was running calculations, I found that the higher the tank
capacitance the fewer the number of primary turns it required to reach
resonance. But I read on John Freau's website
<http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page5.html>http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page5.html
that using a higher number of turns on the primary will increase primary
surge impedance, and will reduce spark gap losses. Is this true? If it is,
then I pose the following question: Using a given secondary frequency, is
it better to have an LTR cap with relatively few primary turns, or to have
a smaller tank cap and more primary turns? Thanks for your infinite
knowlege and wisdom.

-Chris